Sunday, March 23, 2008

Well, we made it back safe and sound, and did not have to take any detours like we thought we were going to. Here are some pictures as we crossed the Mississippi; I think this was around Cairo, IL:



You can kind of see just how close it was getting to the road at that point, and it hadn't crested yet. A news report I saw read:
"The Mississippi at Cairo, Ill., was expected to crest at 54 feet Tuesday morning, 14 feet above flood stage." So at least we made it back before that happened.

Then when we got to Rogersville, this is what we saw:


They had blocked off the westbound lanes, and made the eastbound lanes 2-way so traffic could still get through.

All in all it was a good trip. I got to see things I had never seen, and even rode a horse! (which I had done before...but like over 10yrs ago!) It's a miracle I can still walk straight.

As with any high school trip, we had our 'issues', but I had a wonderful roommate that was also a teacher in the school system and she helped me out a lot with those issues. And after all was said and done, and we were tucked in our beds on Friday night after a LONG day outside in the wind playing horsehoes and going horseback riding, some MORON decided to set off the hotel fire alarm at FOUR in the morning. My roommate open our door, saw there was no chaos, nobody running around like crazy people, no firetrucks, and we went back to sleep. (yeah, I know....that probably wasn't the BRIGHTEST thing to do) But I was pretty sure it was a false alarm since a group of college students had apparently checked in that day, and returned around 11:30 VERY noisily in our hallway. My roommate finally went next door and politely asked them to pipe down since we had to get up early the next morning. They pretty much did, but occasionally I could hear them start to get loud, then you would hear a bunch of them go "SHHHH" (which was louder than them actually talking...)

So when it went off, I was pretty sure one of THEM actually did it. And the next morning at breakfast, I actually heard them brag about it. GEESH!!

This trip will be my last with the school since Chris is a senior, and although I'm glad I went, I'm glad it will be my first AND last!!

No comments: