Thursday, May 8, 2008

Observations of my day...

I had the day off today due to Harry S Truman being born. Working for the State does have it's advantages at times!

After going to the doctor to confirm that I have a bunion on my left foot (yep...not ashamed to say I have a bunion....), I decided to head out and find some things I was needing. Here are just a few of my observations of the day.

1) Some employees at Michael's are NOT very helpful. I'm not saying they are all like that, just this one. I tend to not return to stores where I wasn't helped. (especially when I actually NEEDED it!)

2) The mall was quite busy today; ever had one of those 'automatic-flushing' toilets flush while you were still SITTING on it??? Yep...I have.

3) I did get to see my mom, eat at Chik-fil-A and taste a sample of their new chicken. I also got to see lots of people eat. I think it's funny to see how older married couples react to one another. (I mean OLD married couples...like for 50yrs or more!!) It surprised me just how many of those older couples eat at Taco Bell.

4) I DID get help at Payless Shoes, and it was nice!! (but ended up not buying anything)

5) I stopped at Wal-Mart to try and find a couple more things on my list. I only had 2 small items so I went through the 'self checkout'. As I was checking out, I looked behind me and a lady with a CART-FULL of stuff was placing stuff on the belt. I think they should have a 10-item limit for those things.

6) I was still looking for one item (a cookie cutter in the shape of either a graduation hat or rolled-up diploma) and had heard that maybe "Julie's Chewies" might have them. I have never been there before. They didn't have the cutter I wanted. I did want a cookie though so I bought a cinnamon one. (they were out of the macadamian nut and snickerdoodle) It was good.

7) On the way home I stopped at a Vacuum repair place to see about replacing my extension wand that had broke. I had never been there before, even though the shop had been there for over 30yrs. (it was called "Fred's Vacuum Cleaner Hospital") It was VERY warm inside and somewhat dark. I would have never seen the lady sitting behind the counter if she hadn't spoke to me first. After I showed her my broken vacuum wand, she called a young man to come out and see what he could find. He walked out the front door. I thought 'where is he going?'. The lady told me sit if I wanted to because it could be a while. So as I was sitting there with my back to the counter, I looked around me. There were vacuums of all kinds, and accessories to go along. Then I looked at the floor. It looked as if it hadn't been vacuumed in over a year. (say WHAT???) The young man came back with a wand that belonged to another brand of vacuum, but thought it would work. He compared it to mine (which he hadn't thought of taking with him...wherever he went..) and decided it wouldn't work. So he looked in a box of parts (that was IN the same room) and found one that might work better. It did, and I do like it better than the old one. Once I left I noticed that there was a 'workshop' next to the main building. So I guess that is where they keep all the spare parts.

6) I went home to change and then headed back out to pick up our 2 international students for a 'store-run'. Yep...once again I headed to Wal-Mart.

I noticed that people who buy alcohol don't seem too happy. It was CRAZY there for a Thursday evening. I wondered if there was a snowstorm forecasted or something. As I was standing in the frozen food aisle watching the cart of one of the students, I had a total stranger come up to me and tell me I was a very patient person. I don't know if he said that because all I do most of the time when I take the students is follow them around and give advice on which cereal tastes the best. (well..not really) OR...did he think that was my cart and I was patiently waiting on the 50 OTHER people in the same aisle to get out of the way so I could get through!!

I did end up with a couple of items to purchase, so once again I went to the 'self-checkout' line. The lady in front of me was dressed quite nicely, and was buying some sort of fruit drinks and some of those "grandma's" cookies. She paid for the fruit drinks, then scanned the cookies. She paid for these with one of those "EBT" cards. It wouldn't go through the first time, so she tried it again. (I think it was because she couldn't get her long polished fingernails to hit the right numbers) Now don't read this the wrong way; because I've always wondered why people have those 'accounts' and buy stuff like Grandma's cookies no matter HOW they are dressed, etc. That's all I'm gonna say.


Once we got out of that mess (over an hour later), I went to the BSU for "senior mugging" night. It was fun. I've had a very FULL day. Now it's back to work tomorrow for one day before the weekend. YAHOO!

1 comment:

SuperJediMom said...

Oh mother... I know that you are getting older, but I sure wish you would learn to count. How many times do we have to tell you that there are not 2 number 6's? I guess you can't give a new dog old ticks... or something like that.