Wednesday, January 9, 2008


This diagram shows the tornadoes on Monday night; (you may have to click on it to make it larger; I couldn't enlarge it without making it blurry) The first one that came through around 6:25 is marked "Path begins". To give you an idea of where my house is, it's just to the west of Hwy 65. Although that looks like a long ways away, it only comes down to about 5 miles or so. I think Chris may have heard it 'go over' and said he did hear stuff hitting the house about that time. That was too close for comfort! I was actually at Wal-mart at that time; I had taken 2 of our international students to the store, not knowing what was headed our way!! We were herded to the back of the store and did hear some mighty big hail hit the roof, but otherwise nothing.

We eventually were allowed to finish our shopping, and I was able to get back home just as the 2nd storm hit. A 2nd tornado did form just outside of town again, but this one was further south.

The last one that hit around 3 a.m. was the one that hit in town briefly. It did the damage that showed on the traffic cam I put up on my last post. (and the Krispy Kreme sign damage!)



I have to admit these storms were probably the worse I have experienced in a while; only because they kept coming one after another for so long! Each storm pretty much had a tornado in it somewhere. I think God was definitely watching over me and my family since some of them hit pretty close to home!! Billy would have probably enjoyed it a lot better than me; he's the one who would you find standing at the door watching it, while I would be in a closet somewhere! Christopher went out and got some 'hail samples' from the first storm and we have those in the freezer to show Billy. Here is a picture Chris took of them:

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those who weren't as lucky and had significant damage to their homes, and also to the families who lost loved ones in the storms. As they say, you just never know when it will be 'your time'.

No comments: